Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sunday April 3, 2011


This week's speaker will be Sherill Hogan, who will be telling us about her recent visit to the Middle East. This is such a complex issue and there are so  many points of view, each of which can be argued to have some validity, that I am sure we will have some thought provoking and constructive discussion afterwards.

Well, did anyone notice that last Tuesday was a day of local elections? As I approached my voting station at the Munson Hall I wondered for a moment if I had come on the wrong day. 

Was I sure that it was Tuesday? Perhaps I had arrived on the wrong Tuesday and was a week too soon? There were no placards out on the common, no candidates standing outside hoping to pick up some last minute swing voters, no line of cars parked in their usual place on the edge of the common between the No Parking signs. But then I noticed it – a small sign on the sidewalk announcing that this was indeed the official Precinct 8 Voting Station.  

Inside, there was the usual arrangement of tables and voting booths, with well-loved local faces manning them, chatting quietly to each other as if reluctant to break the hushed silence of officialdom.

It may well be that in my newly acquired status of citizen, I am exaggerating the importance of these local elections. Perhaps after a few more years have passed by, I will become as blasé as the rest of our residents, but I do hope not. The town is always looking for increased involvement by the citizenry, a fact that seems at odds with our unofficial motto as "the town where only the 'h' is silent." 

Lest it seem that I am sermonizing, and in the interests of full disclosure, I have to admit that little more than a week ago I turned down a request to serve on one of the town boards, claiming a desire to spend more time with my family and to be able to follow my own pursuits. As I write this, I am thinking that herein lies the problem. In a town where there are so many interesting activities, clubs, concerts, talks and theatrical events, it is all too easy to find that in the attempt to become involved in everything that captures our attention, we may fall into the trap of failing to prioritize our interests, and letting the more important events and opportunities slip through our fingers.

Tomorrow, I shall enquire as to whether or not the post I was offered has been filled. If it is still vacant, I shall offer to take it – not in order to earn any kudos, but to fulfill a service to the community that I have joined and to which I have made a long term commitment. Part of me is hoping that someone may have already taken on the task – then I can feel righteous about making the effort but relieved that it was no longer necessary. 

It is a bit like being president of the Amherst Club in as much as it is a genuine pleasure to work with and for such a wonderful group of people. However, it is also a serious commitment that requires assiduous effort and attention to detail. Our club members are a constant source of inspiration to me. The range of their activities and volunteer roles seems to be boundless. Where else could you share lunch with a group who can talk to you about teaching non-violent conflict resolution to inmates at the local gaol; 

or about helping supply remote Cambodian villages with safe water; or about how free meals to the needy can now include pet food for those who otherwise might have to make a choice 
between feeding themselves or their furry companion; 


or about how our local hiking trails are maintained so that we can enjoy the beautiful hills, woodland and open fields around us. This is only a taste of the huge reservoir of experience that our members represent. 



Of course, examples like these can be either inspiring or intimidating, depending on your point of view. But that is life for you: always prompting us to assess a situation, evaluate the options, and decide how to act. 

As for myself, I have a mending project that is high priority, but the sun is beckoning. I shall combine the two, therefore, and get the best of both worlds by taking my sewing outside onto the porch where the light is good and the air is fresh. Now that was an easy decision!

May you have a week of easy decisions………..

Best,
Vivienne.
        

No comments:

Post a Comment